FACT: 1 in 4 people have bad breath on a regular basis!
Is it possible to get rid of bad breath very quickly?
If you constantly struggle with Halitosis and are desperate for a solution then keep reading as this article will give you everything you need to combat this atrocity.
I am sure you have had a day were you were about to kiss someone and you were nearly there but before your lips locked, the other half pulled out and jumped out the window.
Now you know why!
You need to be ready for any situation and to be ready for that, your mouth needs to be smelling fresh. Think about it, we use our mouth for everything from: eating, talking, kissing.
Remember: First impressions COUNT!
First of all, How Does Bad Breath Come About?
Lets get a little scientific shall we. Firstly the bad breath that comes out of the mouth is a direct result of food particles, cells, saliva and blood in and around the teeth. this gives breeding ground for gram negative bacteria to start building up to the point where they will start to release sulphur compounds. This in turn will cause the bad breath.
An example of such a bacteria is Porphyromonas gingivalis. This organism is found in oral cavities and is believed to play a big part in the development of periodontal disease which in turn could affect your breath.
Poor Oral Hygiene
The first thing i would question is your Dental hygiene routine to see if it is up to scratch. This is one of the main reasons for bad breath to come about.
Food And Drink
Eating food which has an intense smell such as garlic, onions and various spices will lead to a volatile smell. this is why you must floss your teeth after eating and chew gum to minimise the smell.
regular coffee and alcohol drinking will cause bad breath and another down side is overtime this leads to teeth being stained yellow. Try to minimise coffee consumption to once a day and alcohol to once a week or completely take it out of your diet as it’s bad for you (my personal opinion).
I’m sure your aware that smoking as much as it’s bad for you health, also has a big impact on your mouth. it makes your breath smelly and stains your teeth yellow. If continued for a prolonged period of time, your gums will start to irritate and your sense of taste will drastically reduce.
If your someone who cannot stop smoking then at least try to find alternatives such as E-cigs and these new vapour smokes which have been proven to help people overcome traditional cigarettes.
There are rare cases where a certain medical reason is the cause of bad breath. Dry mouth (xerostomia) is the most common of these conditions and is where the flow and composition of saliva is disrupted.
The result of dry mouth is the excess build up of bacteria which results in bad breath. this is why i mentioned having regular dental checkups as it’s crucial in helping to detect any underlying conditions that may be present.
How To Tell If I Have Bad Breath
There are a couple of ways to check if your breath smells bad, some work better than others so be sure to try each method:
- Make sure your wrist is clean and dry, free from any scent or perfume
- Lick your wrist and wait for 10 seconds
- Smell the area where you just licked and if it smells bad then most likely your mouth needs a clean. If there is no smell then you are fine and continue on your merry way.
Tongue swab method
- Take a spoon, toothpick. cotton swab or a finger and gently rub the back of your tongue as far as you can. set the object aside for 1 minute. after the waiting period smell the object you used to rub the tongue with. whatever the object smells of is how your breath smells.
Smelling dental floss or toothpicks
- This method is not as reliable as the others but it gives you a good indication of any food particles or other material in between your teeth that could possibly be causing your bad breath.
- Floss or use the tooth pick as you normally would and then smell it afterwards.
If you are not scared and self conscious about what people think, then the easiest way to know if your breath smells bad is ask someone you know, it could be a family member, friend or partner.
Although the methods i have stated above are a good indicator, we become use to our own smell so it may seem like your breath smells fine when in actual fact it smells terrible, thats why getting someone else’s opinion is best.
Best Way To Get Rid Of Bad Breath
To get rid of bad breath you should already know what needs to be done or have a rough idea.
The following needs to be done on a daily basis:
- Brushing your teeth for 2 minutes twice day, preferably when you wake up and before going to bed.
- Flossing your teeth after every meal to get rid of the food particles which is the main reason of bad breath in the first place.
- Mouthwash is a great addition as it freshens breath and helps kill bacteria. Use straight after brushing to maximise it’s effectiveness.
- Suger free gum is a great tool to stimulate saliva production and your mouth. I recommend using it straight after flossing after you have had your meal. this is to get rid of the smell of food that has just been in your mouth.
- Dental checkups are part of a good routine. Try visiting the dentist once every 6 months just to make sure you don’t have any underlying conditions which could affect your mouth.
- Tongue cleaning is often overlooked by people, they think brushing just the teeth and using mouthwash will be sufficient to get rid of bad bacteria, which is true but did you know the tongue also harbours an immense number of bacteria. I suggest using a tongue cleaner to scrape off the bacteria.
Tongue cleaning is often overlooked but it needs to be done. Watch this video to see why this is:
The video mentions using an antimicrobial rinse to eliminate bacteria. The one i recommend is the OraWellness Healthy mouth blend. I have written an extensive review on this product and the reason i love it so much is the natural and organic ingrediants it contains. None of those chemically produced ingrediants.
If you want to know more about bad breath and it’s cures please visit OraWellness.
I hope this article has helped you out and the tips that i have given will lead you to eradicate bad breath for good. If you have any questions then please feel free to get in touch by leaving a comment and i will definitely get back to you.
Keep smiling 🙂